Growing old is an inevitable fact of life and there is no escape from it. A lot of us spend countless hours and dollars attempting to reverse and hide our newly formed wrinkles. Although we celebrate those who grow old gracefully, we also understand that it is important to protect ageing skin from all the things that can damage the skin such as dirt, pollution and UV rays. However, the question is where do we start? There is so much information out there that looking for the right anti-ageing products can be quite daunting. This is why before you part with your cash, it’s important that you do a bit of research first. Not to worry, we’ve done all the hard work for you. Keep reading to find out how to grow old gracefully and what products can be used.
How to Grow Old Gracefully?
Although most of us don’t want to grow old, many people want to know how to grow old gracefully? This is a valid question, and here are some answers to satisfy your curiosity.
- No Botox: Although Botox does get rid of wrinkles, experts suggest that it can actually make you look older over time. For example, if you get too much Botox on your forehead, after a while the muscles become flatter and weaker, the skin also starts to get looser and thinner. Also, as your muscles get weaker, they will start to use surrounding facial muscles to make facial expressions. If you are no longer using your forehead muscles; after some time, you will start squinting with your nose which will cause wrinkles to form along the side of the nose. This then leads to you needing even more Botox to fix the problem.
- No Plastic Surgery: You only need to look at the faces of some of the celebrities to know that face lifts are not the answer to your anti-aging problems because they actually make you look a lot worse. Not to mention the dangers associated with having such delicate surgery.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Reduce your consumption of alcohol, fat, sugar and salt and increase your intake of raw and fresh foods, wholegrains and water. Whatever you put in your body will reflect on the outside. If you want to maintain glowing youthful skin, you are going to have to eat foods that promote this and cut out the foods that don’t.
- Meditate and Rest: Stress and worry make people look much older than their years. Spend time resting and meditating to refresh your mind and body. If you have hit retirement, these are the perfect years for rest and meditation, you have spent the majority of your life working, and now it’s time to enjoy your golden years.
- Try New Things and Have Fun: Nothing will age you quicker than sitting at home watching TV all day, get out there, try new things and have some fun. If you are retired, you will have plenty of time on your hands, you can enjoy this time by taking up leisure activities. Make a bucket list of all the things you would like to do and start doing them. You will experience a great sense of satisfaction as you tick them off one by one.
What are the Products That Can be Used?
- Anti-Aging Creams: Moisturizing the skin can enhance the appearance of the skin, it gives it a plum look making wrinkles and lines appear less visible. Some common ingredients you should look out for include retinoids, vitamin C, hydroxy acids, coenzyme Q10, peptides, tea extracts, grape seed extracts and niacinamide.
- Anti-Aging Serum: Anti-aging serums are designed to focus on specific skin problems such as sagging skin, age spots and fine lines. The benefits you get from using a serum will depend on the combination of ingredients present. You may need to use different serums to tackle different problem areas. For example, if your skin has been damaged because of the sun, you will need a serum that is high in vitamin C. If you have dry skin, you will want to use a serum that contains hyaluronic acid.
- Anti-Aging Face Masks: Anti-aging face masks are a must have in your anti-aging skin care routine. They contain a variety of different ingredients depending on the mask that you get. However, the most popular ingredients to give your skin that glowing a youthful appearance are antioxidants because they help to strengthen and revitalize the skin. Toners such as chamomile, rosewater, and witch hazel help to tighten the pores and make the skin feel smooth and soft. Omega 3s, these fatty acids help to retain a youthful and plump appearance.