There is much more to skin care than taking care of it from the outside with serums, moisturizers, and exfoliants. If you want to maintain a youthful appearance in old age, you will need to apply several strategies. In this article, you will learn about ways to look younger at old age and the supplements provided for old age.
Ways to Look Younger at Old Age
There are several ways to look younger at old age, these include the following.
- Wear Sunscreen: Not only should you wear sunscreen on your face, but you should also apply it to your neck. The neck and the under eyes are the first places to show signs of aging. Experts recommend wearing a broad spectrum, unperfumed SPF 25 or above sunscreen.
- Acid Peel: An acid peel that contains glycolic and salicylic acid help to erase pigmentation, fine lines, and to build collagen. Since the skin grows thinner with age, they also help to thicken the skin. The longer you use acid peels, the more of a youthful appearance your skin will have.
- Cleanse and Moisturize: Your skin gets additional protection when it is cleansed and moisturized properly. Don’t use regular soap on older skin because it will dry it out; instead, use a gentle cleanser that won’t strip the skin of its natural moisture. You will also need to stay away from skin toners with an alcohol or stringent base. After cleansing, use a good moisturizer, you should do this morning and night.
- Hide Problem Areas: if you have got wrinkles on your jowls or neck, it is advised that you don’t wear crew-neck or tight-fitting tops because they squeeze the skin upwards. Instead, wear a round neck jersey and put a shirt collar over the top.
- Hand Cream: Hands are another area on the body that give away a person’s age. Apply a good hand cream often, one that contains SPF for daytime. You can also brighten dull hands with regular exfoliation. Gently scrub your hands with a soft toothbrush using a mixture of lemon juice and sea salt.
- Tone Down the Makeup: Most older women assume that if they apply more makeup it will hide the wrinkles. This is incorrect, the skin loosens as we age which makes it easier for any makeup you apply to travel, settle and move. Less makeup suits the texture of older skin better. You should also stick to pink, radiant hues that emulate a natural youthful look.
- Exercise: Studies have concluded that regular exercise helps to put the brakes on the aging process. You will reduce muscle wastage and sleep better when you exercise four or more times per week. You can work the muscles with resistance exercises, work the lungs and heart with cardiovascular exercise and gain more flexibility by stretching.
- Drink More Water: The majority of the body is made up of water and the skin is our largest organ. Therefore, you must keep hydrated to avoid looking dull, dry and to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The more water you drink, the more hydrated you will be and the more youthful, subtle and plump your skin will appear. Also staying hydrated helps to increase your energy levels so you won’t feel so tired.
- Skin Care Ingredients: Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA’s) and retinol help to eliminate wrinkles and fine lines as well as rejuvenate the skin. Hyaluronic acid locks moisture into the skin to give it a glowing and smooth look.
Supplements Provided for Skincare
- Vitamin C: Healthy skin is dependent upon antioxidant vitamin C. It helps the skin to heal and protects damaged skin. It is also one of the essential nutrients required for the body to produce collagen. You can take a vitamin C supplement, but you can also get it from several food sources including the following:
- Winter squash
- Kakadu plums
- Chilli peppers
- Sweet yellow peppers
- Mustard spinach
- Citrus fruits
- Fatty Acids: There are many health benefits associated with omega 3 fatty acids; one of them is that it assists the skin in maintaining its natural barrier which protects it from exterior damage. You can take omega 3 as a supplement, but it is also available in the following foods:
- Soy beans
- Flax seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Evening Primrose Oil: Evening primrose oil is made up of healthy fatty acids that help to improve the overall appearance and health of the skin.