There are plenty of wonderful things about getting older, you are doing fabulous in your career, and in most cases you're more confident than you've ever been. However, there's one thing that you would rather avoid as you start to age, and that is fine lines and wrinkles. The good news is that there are plenty of ways you can care for your skin in your 40s and 50s here are some tips the nurturing mature skin and keeping it glowing.
Why does mature skin need extra care
In case you're wondering why does mature skin need extra care, it is because as we grow older there are certain changes that occur to the skin naturally these include the following:
- the skin starts getting rougher
- the skin begins to develop lesions such as benign tumors
- the skin starts becoming slack it loses elastic and the skin begins to sag
- the skin starts to thin and become more transparent
- the skin becomes more delicate
- the blood vessels in the skin becomes thinner, causing it a bruise easier
There are also several changes that take place below the skin as we age, these include the following
- Reduction of fat below the skin around the eyes, nose, chin, temples, and cheeks this causes the skin to become loose, and the eyes begin to sink into the face
- Bone loss around the chin and mouth
- A loss of cartilage in the nose
All of the above are reasons why does mature skin need extra care. It is impossible to avoid the aging process. However, there are things that you can do to slow it down, they are as follows:
- Keep out of the sun, as you age, the skin is unable to protect itself the way it did when you were younger; therefore, spending a limited amount of time in the sun will be of great benefit to you.
- No Smoking: In general, smokers have more wrinkles, if you are a smoker, you might want to think about kicking in the habit, not only will it preserve your health, but it will also preserve your skin.
- Sleeping Position: This is a strange one but the way you sleep can increase the number of wrinkles on your face. The best position to sleep as you age is on your back, in this way, you are protected from the wrinkles that can form on your face because of the pillow.
How to keep mature skin looking healthy and what products to use
Use a Cream Cleanser: No matter how old you are and what type of skin you have, or your skin care concerns it is essential that cleansing the skin is a part of your daily routine. However, as you start to age you might want to incorporate a cream cleanser into your routine instead of a foam one. When the skin starts to mature it loses nutrients, moisture and natural oils, this results in skin that feels and looks drier. A cream cleanser will help to replenish moisture so that your skin looks fresh and new. It is also important that you cleanse at night and that you remove your make up before you go to bed, because a combination of dirt and excess oils can block the pores.
Exfoliate Once a Week: the number of times that you exfoliate your skin will depend on the type of skin you have, some people can handle exfoliation once a week, and others once or twice per week. So, the amount of times that you exfoliate will depend on your personal skin type. Exfolition is great for ageing skin because it removes dead skin cells which is essential when it comes to anti-aging. You should try a gentle facial exfoliator, one that contains micro pearls, this will help your skin to look more radiant and eliminate any dullness.
Use a Serum: After you have cleansed your skin you should apply a serum, aging causes a deceleration of cell regeneration. This reduces the radiance and vitality of your skin complexion, when you use a lightweight serum your skin will immediately feel softer and smoother and appear refreshed. You should apply a serum to your skin in the morning and night.
Apply a Facial Oil in the Morning: The natural oil production in the skin decreases as it matures, when the skin is exposed to harmful UV rays it makes it even more difficult for the skin to retain moisture, this leaves the skin looking lacklustre and dehydrated. A non-greasy lightweight facial oil that quickly absorbs into the skin will provide nourishment for mature skin. each morning apply 4 to 5 drops of oil, gently smoothing it over the skin.
Use an Eye Cream: The area is the quickest to age, and an eye cream will assist in removing fine lines, dark circles, or bags from under the eyes. Using an eye cream will quickly hydrate the skin making the eye area appear radiant. Use the tips of your fingers to apply a small amount to the eye area patting it in until it is fully absorbed. You should use an eye cream morning and night. If you are concerned about crow’s feet use an eye cream that contains ingredients to fight wrinkles around the eyes.